Home About Me Contact Me TpT Pinterest Email Instagram Twitter Image Map

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Academic Vocabulary




Academic Vocabulary

I’ve been teaching long enough to realize that today’s latest and greatest ideas will eventually go away and be replaced with the BETTER idea which adds more rigor and differentiation and collaboration and any other buzz-word you can come up with.  Some experts will say the WORD WALL is a waste of precious time.  Some experts will show off their successful word walls on their blog (B’s Book Love - an expert) and explain how it has worked for them.  I can remember hosting a PD in my classroom several years ago in which the “Professional” who was there to “Develop Us" took one look at my word wall and stated it was a completely wrong strategy.  Well, it wasn’t the first time someone didn’t agree with a strategy of mine, and I’m sure it won’t be the last.  But here’s what I know.



I know about this student who sat in my room reading on a 3rd grade level in my 8th grade classroom.  I know about this student who was experiencing the regular ed classroom for the first time in their life.  I know about this student who seemed to have a thirst for knowledge that could never be quenched.  I know about this student who took the words from my word wall and made her own flashcards to use at home without me assigning it to her.  I know about this student who would work her tail off to better herself.  I know about this student that when it came time for assessments in my room during which I would cover my word wall, she would stare at the wall where she REMEMBERED the word to be, and it would “appear” to her.  I know about a student whom I will never forget, who is a success in life, and who used my word wall for its intent - from which to learn. 
Here’s my list of the 88 most important Academic Words for my 8th grade students to know.  It is my belief that they must know the definition FIRST and then the application, usage, analysis, summarization, argumentation, explanation, etc., etc., etc., of the words.  Yes, I spend weeks diving into the ethos, pathos, and logos of texts.  Yes, I spend weeks teaching how to write an explanatory essay.  Yes, I spend weeks teaching about the symbolism found in poetry.  But we also spend weeks simply memorizing the definitions. 


The words and definitions are printed on a green background because I tell my students, “Green words are good!”  I’ve also provided them on a blank background for you to choose your own color.
P.S.  The very best way to have students memorize words and definitions is through Quizlet Live.  It’s free.  It’s fun.  It WORKS!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment